The nation’s spotlight will shine on Philadelphia during the Democratic National Convention in July 2016. Over the past decade, Pennsylvania and many states have suffered negative impacts from intensive drilling and fracking. Water, air and land have been polluted and poisoned, and as a result, many residents have become sickened. Philadelphia itself is pummeled with environmental injustices related to the fossil fuel industry, including the Philadelphia Energy Solutions refinery, the largest single consumer of Bakken shale oil.
Climate change presents the United States and the world with an unprecedented challenge and poses a threat to future life on this planet. Now more than ever, it is imperative that our political leaders take swift action to keep the vast majority of fossil fuels in the ground by banning fracking for oil and gas, and other extreme energy extraction methods. Our leaders must commit to swiftly attaining a full and just transition to renewable energy.
Hundreds of organizations have joined Americans Against Fracking to endorse the March for a Clean Energy Revolution. See the full list of endorsements here. For more information on the march, you can check out our March Details page.
We’ll take our demands directly to elected leaders at the Democratic National Convention. Together, we will march to call for:
- A ban on fracking and other unconventional extreme fossil fuel extraction methods – we must keep fossil fuels in the ground!
- A halt to the rapid and reckless expansion of fossil fuel infrastructure including gas and oil pipelines, frac sand mining, wastewater injection wells, gas storage facilities, fossil fuel power plants, bomb trains, and other dirty infrastructure across the United States.
- A ban on the export of liquefied natural gas (LNG), a halt to the approval of export facilities, and a continuation of the ban on crude oil exports.
- A stop to other dirty energy sources including incineration, nuclear power, and biomass.
- Environmental justice for all to end the disproportionate impacts on low-income communities and communities of color.
- Swift action to invest in solar, wind and other clean energy power sources and energy efficiency measures across the United States so that we can transition quickly to a 100% renewable energy economy.
- A just transition for workers who are employed by the fossil fuel industry, and policies to ensure that the new renewable energy economy provides living wage jobs and benefits communities across the country.
For our future and our children’s future, we must stop the expansion and reliance on fossil fuels and instead swiftly advance renewable energy. Renewables and efficiency are the clean energy solutions we need to combat climate change and create millions of new jobs that will strengthen our economy. With the eyes of the world on Philadelphia, now is the time for us to come together as a united national movement.